Our Clients, Cavendish Estates Ltd, instructed us to refurbish their existing factory unit, which consisted of 15000 ft2 of warehouse space and associated offices. The existing steel frame was in good condition but the remaining parts of the structure needed bringing up to current standards. Care was taken when selecting replacement material as current Building Regulation Standards would have to be achieved and the completed building would be subject to an air test.
Areas of attention were:
- Roofing and wall cladding - The existing was removed and it was replaced with profile sheet roofing and interlocking smooth insulated wall panels. A compatible rainwater installation was installed.
- Windows and Screens - The existing windows were removed and replaced with Powder coated double glazed windows and entrance screens.
- Factory Doors - The existing roller shutter doors were Insulated sectional doors. The timber escape doors were replaced with Powder Coated Steel insulated doors fitted with Fire Escape Ironmongery.
- Floor - Modern warehouse and factory users want a smooth level floor with in-obtrusive expansion joints. After testing the existing floor, which proved its structural strength, it was decided that the existing floor with be overlaid with a 150 mm concrete floor slab with a power floated finish. Steel formwork was used to insure that minimum deviation in floor levels was achieved.
- Car Park and Factory yard - The existing concrete surfaces were cleaned off and local repairs were carried out. Additional car parking areas were excavated for and formed. The expansion joints were covered with a Geo-textile reinforcement strip. The whole area was then surfaced with Stone Mastic Asphalt.
All works were completed within the clients budget and programme. The building was let upon completion.